- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Total Time: 2 Hours
- Yield: 10 slices
- Cuisine: Baking
For the cake::
- 2 cups cake flour
- 3 large grated carrots
- 1 cup roughly chopped pecan nuts or walnuts
- 1 1/2 cups demerara sugar
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 200 ml vegetable oil
- 4 eggs
For the icing::
- 50 g soften butter take it out the fridge when you put the cake in the oven
- 140 g icing sugar sifted
- 150 g cream cheese
- 1 lemon zest
- juice of half a lemon
- 15 walnut or pecan nut halves for decoration (optional)
- 1 30cm cake tin
- 1 a mixing bowl
- Preheat your oven to 180°C and then line and grease your cake tin and set aside
- Grate your carrots (use a food processor grater if you have one or grate by hand).
- In a bowl mix the flour, pecan nuts, sugar, cinnamon, ground ginger, salt, baking powder and baking soda.
- Then add the grated carrots and give it a good mix around.
- Then in a jug mix together the oil and 4 eggs and the stir it through the dry mixture, it will be quite stiff, but just use a bit of elbow grease and mix it thoroughly so that it is all combined like the picture below.
- Pop the mixture into your greased cake tin and put it in the oven which has been preheated to 180°C for about an hour, I check mine after 45 minutes as all ovens are different.
- After an hour, remove from the oven, and allow to cool completly in a tin on a wire rack or cake cooling stand.
- After it has cooled, remove from the tin and set aside whilst you prepare the icing.
- To prepare your icing, ensure you take out your cream cheese and butter for about 30 minutes before hand. Then put the butter in a bowl, then add the sifted icing sugar and lemon zest, you can do this by hand if you wish, however, I prefer to use an electric mixer, adding the icing sugar a little at a time so that it doesn’t go all over your kitchen.
- Then add the cream cheese, this bit do by hand as you don’t want to overmix it and make it too runny, once the cream cheese is incorporated then add the lemon juice and mix again.
- Spread over your cake and then decorate with pecan nuts or walnuts. You can either do it like I have done, or finely chop the nuts and sprinkle them over the whole top of the cake, entirely up to you.