Chicken and Chips. What can I say really, except Chicken and Chips. One of my all time favourite dishes. I remember growing up and it was always a treat if we got chicken and chips for dinner. The deep fried potatoes with the crispy skin of the chicken. Mmmm, it’s making me hungry just thinking about it.
Or be honest, you have been out at the pub or if you are like me, in your younger days, the club and it is 3am and you are starving, so you make a detour on your way home for as my friend calls it dirty chicken and chips, there is nothing quite like eating that chicken and chips and then waking up the next morning with a slightly fuzzy head and noticing the empty boxes of chicken and packets of chips scattered around your living room floor, or the odd stray chip or piece of chicken stuck to your clothes! Or was that just me….
This is therefore my attempt to recreate the memory of chicken and chips from when I was growing up or when I was older and going out and getting it on my home. Or indeed a cure for a hangover the next day. This chicken and chips is so easy to make as its all in one large casserole dish, so if you are suffering from a hangover or feeling slightly under the weather, you will still be able to make it.
This dish is however a lot healthier than deep fried chicken and chips, or the chicken and chips from your local takeaway.
Yes, it’s not reinventing the wheel but it is delicious and tasty and easy to make, that you can come home from work and make it today. So what are you waiting for?Print
Chicken and Chips.
A wonderful simple dish to make, the result is a nice crispy chicken skin with soggy and crispy potatoes. It is great for a simple dinner party dish or as an alternative to your Sunday dinner. Make sure you use chicken thighs though as any other chicken will dry out.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Total Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- Yield: 2 people 1x
- 4 chicken thighs
- 4 potatoes peeled and chipped
- 4 tbsp Portuguese Chicken Spice You can buy this in any supermarket chain
- 4 cloves Garlic peeled and crushed
- 1 tbsp spicy paprika
- 1 red onion peeled and quarted
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- t tbsp ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180 Degrees fan assisted or 200 Degrees without fan.
- Take a freezer bag and put your chicken thighs inside, add the Portuguese Chicken Season, salt, pepper, paprika, crushed garlic and mix well so that the chicken thighs are coated in the spices. Set aside.
- To prepare your potatoes, peel them and chop them into large chip sizes. You can either steam them for 10 minutes using a double boiler/steamer or you can boil them in salted water for 10 minutes.
- Add the olive oil to a large casserole dish, take each chicken thigh and place it skin side down and rub it in the olive oil, then turn it over so the skin is side up, place it in the corner of the casserole dish, repeat for all chicken thighs.
- Add the potatoes to the dish, and mix around carefully so that you don’t break them up but ensure they get coated in the olive oil. Add the red onion scattered around. Season with a couple of grind of salt and pepper to finish it off.
- Place it in the oven for 30 minutes, after which time stir the potatoes around so that you can get a light brown coating all over them. Return to the oven for another 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, dish up and enjoy.
There you have it, my take on chicken and chips, with a little hint of spice.
I do hope you enjoy it and make it soon.