Chicken Kebabs, a nice simple recipe to take to a BBQ or to cook on your own BBQ. It seems like an age since I last blogged, but you know, sometimes life gets in the way and I have been crazy busy in my day job, so the evenings have been cherished times to spend with my partner and our cats.
Not that I am complaining, but what is it about summer? It seems that everybody comes out the woodworks and hibernation and wants to catch up. You don’t see people for months during the winter and then suddenly you’re busy every weekend. It can get quite exhausting, especially combined with a busy day job. I love my friends, I really do, but sometimes, we just want to relax and kick back on the weekends and make chicken kebabs, you know how it is right? Surely, I’m not alone in wanting some quiet time?
Saying all of that, I do like entertaining and visiting with friends, so I guess we all recharge our batteries in the winter ready to socialise in the summer. So I can hardly complain really can I?
These chicken kebabs are nice and simple to make and when served with the corn on the cob, you have a complete meal. Got all your vegetables from the kebabs and the corn and then your protein from the chicken meat.
I used a dry rub marinade which I got from Lidl to marinade the chicken pieces before skewering them onto the skewers, you can use whatever you like or simply season with salt and pepper and they will still be delicious. To cook the corn on the cob, see this post here. Depending on the size of your microwave, you will need to cook two at a time.
Until next time
Simple, easy and delicious. Make these chicken kebabs tonight. You will also need 8 metal kebab skewers. For the purposes of cooking time and this recipe, I used a gas BBQ preheated to a high heat. If using a charcoal BBQ, the cooking time will be similar, but wait until the flames have died down and you have nice coals.
- Prep Time: 1 hour
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Yield: 4 people 1x
- 2 large chicken breasts cubed into 2 inch pieces
- 1/2 packet of Lidl Ghost Chilli Marinade any marinade will do here
- 10 mushrooms chestnut or normal
- 1 red onion quarter, then halve the quarters
- 1 red pepper cut into 2 inch cubes
- 4 ears of corn
- Prepare your vegetables and your chicken pieces. With regard to the chicken, use breasts as they are easier to cut and less fatty on the BBQ.
- When it comes time prepare your red onion, peel the onion, then slice it in half, then quarter it, then halve the quarter, this will give you a proper size piece of onion to skewer.
- Marinade the chicken according to the marinade instructions, I marinaded mine for 1 hour before. Then assemble the kebabs.
- To assemble the kebabs, start with a a piece of red pepper, then a piece of chicken, then an onion, then a mushroom, then repeat, so you get another piece of red pepper, then chicken, then onion, then mushroom. Don’t overfill the kebabs as this will make them harder to turn on the BBQ.
- Once assembled, turn on your BBQ (as mentioned above, I used a gas BBQ), preheat it using the high heat for about 10 minutes, then carefully lay all your kebabs on the BBQ, you should be able to fit them all on the BBQ, but if not, cook them in stages.
- To cook, once on the BBQ, put the lid on and leave for 5 minutes, then left the lid (careful, it will be hot!), then turn over all the kebabs and put the lid on and cook for a further 5 minutes. The kebabs should then be cooked, so remove from the BBQ and cover with tin foil to keep warm whilst you prepare the corn.
To cook the corn
- To cook the corn, simply place the whole husk into the microwave and cook on high for 4 minutes, remove from the microwave and then cut it about an inch from the bottom of cob and pull everything off, so you need to grip the leaves and it will remove everything off including all the stringy hairs from the corn and your corn will be perfectly cooked.
- Eat and then enjoy.
To cook the corn as above see this recipe here. Your life will be changed!