1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees and grease a bundt tin of your choice (or a normal round cake tin) with butter or non stick spray.
2. Measure out all your dry ingredients so that they are ready to be added to the bowl. Grate your carrots. Melt the chocolate if you haven’t done so already and set aside.
3. Sift the self raising flour, cocoa and spices together into a large bowl. Stir in the pecan nuts, sultanas and coconut.
4. In another bowl whisk the eggs, sugar and oil together until the sugar has dissolved. Stir in the melted chocolate into the egg mixture mixing until smooth. Fold the chocolate mixture into the flour mixture, alternating with the grated carrots.
5. Pour the mixture in the prepared tin and bake for about 1 hour or until a testing skewer into the centre of the cake (deepest part) comes out clean.
6. Leave the cake to cool in the tin for 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack until completely cool.
For the Caramel Cream Icing:
If you prefer, make your icing first and then make the cake to give the icing lots of time to cool.
You can also use normal cream cheese frosting for the icing see my other carrot cake recipe for that.