Easy Chicken Pie, I take no credit for this pie. It was all my husband’s idea. The other day we didn’t know what to make for dinner and were shopping and decided on this easy chicken pie. Most big supermarkets sell already roast chicken and yes, they are probably not the most cost effective method or indeed the most healthiest, but sometimes you just got to do what you got to do.
I used ready made puff pastry for these easy chicken pies, as the clue is really in the name, “easy”. These pies didn’t take very long at all, and as the puff pastry was already rolled that made them even quicker.
Obviously if you make a roast chicken on a Sunday (or whenever you make one, who said roasts are only for Sundays?) then save some of the roast chicken from there and use that, if you like you can even use chicken thighs or breasts, you will just need to adjust your cooking time as if you use pre cooked chicken, then the cooking time is less.
So why not give this easy chicken pie a go? Do you ever use any cheats in your day to day cooking for those days when you simply cannot find the energy to cook or when you simply just feel lazy in the kitchen and don’t want to cook? I would love to hear your stories, as I am sure that I am not the only one who uses cheating methods on occasion.
Easy Chicken Pie
You can use left over roast chicken, or you can use a pre bought cooked roast chicken or you can cook chicken breasts, if you do use chicken breast, ensure you cut them finely and then fry them off. ***Note – I used a 6 hole large muffin tray to make these, but feel free to use a larger tray if you want or make one whole pie. I also made mine in two batches, so when one came out the oven, I made the next lot.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 10 pies 1x
- 2 sheets of puff pastry ready rolled
- 1/2 roast chicken 2 chicken breast
- 1 white onion chopped
- 10 mushrooms sliced
- 1 Tin chopped asparagus Whichever variety you want I used green chopped, drain it off
- 1 tub creme fraiche
- 150 grams cheddar cheese grated
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 egg beaten
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees without fan. Remove the puff pastry from the fridge and set aside. Grease your muffin tray with non stick spray and set aside.
- Fry the onion for 2 minutes, then add the mushrooms and fry for about 5 minutes until the mushrooms have cooked and the water has come out of them, this will ensure no soggy bottoms. Add the asparagus, season with salt and pepper, then add the whole tub of creme fraiche. Taste for seasoning, and set aside to cool for about 10 minutes.
- Whilst the filling is cooling, carefully roll out the pasty, and then cut a 2cm strip off the end and set to one side. Divide the rest of the sheet into 6 square pieces and then carefully push each square into the muffin hole. Fill each pastry about 3/4 full, then sprinkle a large handful of cheese over the top of each filling.
- Cut 6 small square off of the strip of pastry you had set aside and then place on top of each pie to create a lid. Generously egg wash all the visible pastry (it doesn’t matter if some of the egg runs into the pie filling) and then sprinkle cheese on top to cover and create a cheesy lid.
- Bake in the middle of your preheated oven for about 25 – 30 minutes until the pastry is golden brown and crispy. Once cooked, remove from the oven and use tongs carefully remove each pie out of the muffin tray and allow to cool on a plate or a wire rack for about 5 minutes before eating.
- Serve by itself, or with chips, or with a salad and with chutney or tomato sauce.
So there you have it. My easy cheats chicken pies.
***Note – please remember if you are using chicken breast or thighs, slice into thin strips about 1cm long or cube it, and add the chicken into the pan after you have put fried the onions for about 5 minutes, but before the mushrooms, cook for about 7 – 8 minutes and season well, then add the mushrooms and the rest of the filling. Don’t overcook as it will get too dry, remember the pie will still cook for another 25 – 30 minutes in the oven.