Feta, Egg and Cherry Tomato Bake. This dish is something which my aunt Annie cooked for myself and my husband when we went to visit her and her husband for a weekend. She is an amazing cook and is one of those cooks who when faced with a whole selection of ingredients just chooses some at random and ends up with a tasty dish.
Just before Christmas time when we went to visit, on the Sunday morning she made this Feta, Egg and Cherry Tomato Bake, it really was quite something to see her literally just empty everything into a dish and add a few splashes of this sauce and then a few throws of that herb and then think, oh, this would be nice if I add this, and then end up with this dish. When it hit the table it was polished off in no time.
The beauty of this dish is that when you have overindulged the evening before, you really don’t need to think about what you put in it as it is almost what you feel like. As long as you keep the main elements of feta, egg and cherry tomatoes, then you can’t go wrong. I have Chorizo in here, but you really don’t need to include it and thus it suddenly becomes a vegetarian breakfast for those weekends when you have a vegetarian coming over.
I personally like a few bits of chorizo or bacon pieces in a breakfast on a weekend, especially if I have had that one glass of wine too many. So it is really entirely up to you. The one key ingredient which makes this dish what it is, is the Beetroot and Thyme Dressing which my aunt gave us for Christmas. I ran out and so had to buy some more, and you can buy it from Olives et al. Do yourself a favour and buy some, you will love it. The best thing? My husband hates beetroot, and was very sceptical of Annie when she used it initially in the dish which she made for breakfast, however, he did subsequently admit that it made the dish and was very happy that we had got one for Christmas. I will be ordering some more soon.
So without further ado, I give to you Annie’s Feta, Egg and Tomato Bake, make it this weekend for breakfast/brunch and I promise you won’t regret it.Print
Feta, Egg, CherryTomato Bake
As I mentioned above, this is a one pot dish, so you need a nice casserole dish or baking tray to make this in.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 2 people 1x
- 500 grams cherry tomatoes
- 200 grams feta cheese crumbled (you just need one block, so if it is 250g, use that)
- 2 fresh chorizo sausages cut into large chunks
- 3 tbsp Beetroot and Thyme dressing See above link as to where to buy it
- 1/2 tsp chilli flakes
- black pepper to taste – I used about 10 grinds of black pepper
- 4 eggs
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees
- Put the cherry tomatoes, chorizo, feta, chilli flakes and beetroot and thyme dressing into the casserole dish and bake in the oven for 10 minutes until all the juices start to run out the chorizo.
- Remove the pan from the oven, and then crack your four eggs around the dish, seriously no great art to this, just crack them over the top of the other ingredients and the egg will merge with everything else. Crack some black pepper over it.
- Place back in the oven for 5 – 10 minutes, or until your eggs are how you like it, I like my eggs hard, my husband likes his soft, so we compromise on medium, which is normally about 7 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and you can either serve straight away or let it cool down for 5 minutes before serving.
- To serve take a large serving spoon, and scoop up the eggs with the feta, chorizo, tomatoes onto your plate.
- Eat and enjoy.
There you go, Annie’s Feta, Egg and Cherry Tomato Bake. I hope you do make it for brunch this weekend and you know what? You could make it for dinner too and I promise not to tell anyone.