Sizzling Garlic Prawns, I make no apologies for the lack of posts (ok I do really), it should read, I make no excuses. It’s just been a crazy few months what with life happening and getting in the way and whilst I do love the blog, I just haven’t had the time or the energy to dedicate to the blog. I will start to be making more of an effort to get some more posts on soon and to include a giveaway.
In April we went for a break to Gran Canaria in the Canary Islands for a week of total unwinding and sunshine and it was a wonderful day, those of you who follow me on Facebook and twitter will have seen some of the photos, blue blue blue skies, which after a pretty grey winter is exactly what the doctor ordered.
On the first day we were there we went to the beach and at lunch time decided to get something to eat, so went to a cafe on the beach and had an ice cold bear and these sizzling garlic prawns along with a tuna salad (recipe is next on the blog), all I can say is that we were hooked from the first minute.
You basically got a heap of prawns sizzling away in garlic oil along with a nice chunk of bread to soak up all the lovely oil. Sometimes we got parsley with it, sometimes not, sometimes it was spicer and sometimes not, still we went back to have a bowl of these with almost every meal they were that delicious. You know sometimes you go on holiday and you have almost a dish of the holiday? Well, this was that dish, lovely and garlicky and just everything that screams holiday food.
So naturally when we got home, the first dish we made was this and it totally lived up to the same expectation that we had on holiday. It transported us back to Gran Canaria and sitting in the restaurants with a nice glass of wine or beer and generally relaxing.
So I strongly recommend the you give this dish a try and once you’ve made it, pour yourself a large glass of wine (red, white or rose) and dunk some bread in it and then totally visualise yourself sitting in a lovely restaurant on the beach watching the world go by. Something to distract from the poor summer we’ve had in the UK at the moment.
Until next time.
Sizzling Garlic Prawns
Sizzling Garlic Prawns are a delicious dish that will take you back to your holidays in hotter climes. Oodles of garlic, chilli and extra virgin olive oil make this a wonderful dish
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 2 people
For the Prawns:
- 16 King Prawns 8 per person, with shells removed and tails on.
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 10 cloves Garlic thinly sliced
- 3 dried whole chillies any king will do but try to get long red chillies
- 1 handful flat leaf parsley roughly chopped This is optional.
- 4 slices thickly cut fresh bread
- Prepare your ingredients, slice the garlic and if your prawns have shells on, remove the shells but keep the tail (I buy the prawns without the shells but with the tails) and set aside.
- Add the oil, sliced garlic and dried chillies to a deep sided pan which will be large enough to hold your prawns comfortably without them being on top of each other.
- When the garlic starts to turn golden, add the prawns and cook for a couple of minutes on each side until they turn pink, you will know that they are cooked then.
- Sprinkle over the parsley, slice the bread and serve immediately.
- If you are serving this at a dinner party, then distribute the prawns into terracotta bowls dividing the prawns evenly and ensure everyone has some of that oil, sprinkle the parsley over the top (optional, I have had it both ways and don’t feel strongly either way), and serve with the sliced bread.
- If it is just one or two of you eating it, then take the pan to the table and serve, I have found that if you break the bread up into chunks and dot it around the pan it soaks up all the lovely flavour and makes it very tasty indeed.