Slow cooked meatballs. These came about because we for some reason have a ton of frozen meatballs in the house. I think whenever we go to Costco, we buy these meatballs which are great as they are easy for a quick meal for those days when you can’t be bothered to cook and just to through something into some tomato sauce and then have dinner on the table.
However, these are those slow cooked meatballs, oh no, these are even easier than that, yes it requires some forward planning, but still I think these are great. You do obviously need a slow cooker to make this dish.
If you are regular reader of my blog then you will know that I like to advocate the simple meals in life. Yes, sometimes it really is nice to spend some time in the kitchen making a wonderfully complicated meal, but sometimes on a Sunday if you have things to do then its better to put something in the slow cooker and forget about it whilst you go out and do your chores or meet friends or simply catch up on TV. That is where these slow cooked meatballs come in.
These meatballs are best cooked from frozen, so when you add them to the slow cooker ensure that you have just taken them out of the freezer or at the very least the fridge as this will ensure that the meatballs do not fall apart during the cooking process.
I have adapted this recipe from Slow Cooked by Miss South, this is a wonderful book if you love slow cooking, and I have made numerous recipes from it which have all worked beautifully. So if you don’t have a copy, then perhaps you could put it on your Christmas list.
What is your favourite dish to cook in a slow cooker?
Have yourselves a good rest of the week and I will be back soon with more recipes.
Slow Cooked Meatballs
These wonderful slow cooked meatballs are simple to make and tasty too. Use a slow cooker and use the meatballs from frozen or chilled. You can make your own meatballs, but please ensure that you chill them beforehand.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 8 hours
- Total Time: 8 hours 15 minutes
- Yield: 4 people 1x
- 600 grams Lamb meatballs (about 24 in the packet) Store bought ready made meatballs are fine. If no lamb, use beef.
- 2 tins chopped tomatoes
- 4 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp tomato purée
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 50 ml white or rose wine
- 50 ml water
- salt & Pepper About 12 grinds of each
- 1 Onion chopped
- 6 carrots roughly chopped
- Prepare your onion and take your meatballs out the freezer.
- Add the onions, tinned tomatoes, sugar, tomato puree, oregano, salt and pepper to the slow cooker and mix to combine. Dot the meatballs around the base of the slow cooker ensuring that they are all in one layer, it doesn’t matter if they are touching.
- Add the carrots, putting them roughly on top, then add the white wine and the water so that the meatballs are submerged.
- Put the lid on the slow cooker and cook on low for 7 – 8 hours. The sauce will thicken up and all the flavours will combine. You may see a layer of oil on the top, just spoon it off carefully and then gently stir everything and it will be good to eat.
- Serve with cous cous or pasta or mash potato.
This recipe serves 4, so if you want more, just double up, your slow cooker will be able to handle it. This is great for leftovers, so I made the amount stated and we had the rest for dinner the next day.