Smoked Mackerel Pate. With summer approaching fast (it has been wonderful and sunny in the UK this past week) I thought I would share this simple delicious and tasty smoked mackerel pate.
Don’t you just love spring and the lead up into summer? Living in London, I find that suddenly everyone starts to become happy and more approachable. People actually start to look up again rather than trudging through the days like the do in winter. And the days are actually longer. That is the best thing.
When spring starts to arrive and the days get warmer, we often go to our local garden centre and buy some plants for our little balcony so that the bees have somewhere to visit and pollenate. We also always buy 4 chilli plants and use these chillies throughout the year in our cooking. We are lucky that we get morning sun on the balcony which in turn gives the chillies the warmth they need to grow.
The other thing about summer is that you can start to put away the soup containers and look to lighter lunches and more summery lunches. I start to think about salads in our lunch boxes and for lunch on the weekend. You also start to think about BBQs and what can go with these BBQ’s such as the Chicken Kebabs or you can start to plan to go on picnic’s with friends and family. You could make this Springtime Quiche, or even better, you can make this delicious smoked mackerel pate. It is so easy to make, simply a case of putting everything into a food processor and mixing together.
One way I like to eat the Smoked mackerel pate is to butter to nice slices of toast, then spread the smoked mackerel pate on top, boil two eggs and slice them up, then layer then over the smoked mackerel pate, grind some good black pepper over it and tuck in. Simply wonderful.
I do hope you enjoy this. What are your favourite things to take to a picnic in the summer?Print
Smoked Mackerel Pate
Wonderful dish to eat in the summer for lunch or a light dinner. Works a treat as part of a mezze platter too.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: undefined
- Total Time: -26024315.2167 minute
- Yield: 4 people 1x
- 1 200g packet of smoked mackerel
- 1 300ml tub of creme fraiche
- 2 bunches spring onions trimmed and chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp sirracha
- 1 tsp crushed chilli flakes
- Trim the spring onions and cut into chunks, add to food processor. Peel the skin off the mackerel and then add this to the food processor in chunks.
- Add the creme fraiche, salt and pepper, and if using sirracha or chilli flakes to the food processor and blitz until a pate like consistency. If the pate is too thick, add a couple of tablespoons of mayonnaise and blitz to incorporate.
- Seve on biscuits, with carrots or on a slice of toast. Very tasty served on a slice of toast with a boiled egg on top.
- You can store this in an airtight container in the fridge for about one week.