This is an interesting recipe as it is using a somewhat controversial ingredient, Spam. I quite like Spam, you can fry it and have it for breakfast and it is reasonably cheap to buy. I first saw this recipe in the Hairy Bikers Asian Adventures book and thought that it sounded interesting, I made it exactly how they stated, but I used a whole tablespoon of normal chilli powder, which rendered it uneatable. However, I persevered and changed it up a bit and reduced the chilli powder content and now have a dish which I am happy with. If you like Spam you will like this recipe, the advantage of this recipe is that it can be ready fairly quickly so you can make it on a week night. It also uses my new favourite ingredient, the Korean Chilli Paste, I use it here in the Golzeme, so if you buy some of the paste, it is not going to go to waste. I especially love the addition of the fried egg on the top, this is purely optional, but I love egg, so decided to add it on. On to the recipe now.
Spam & Tofu Stir Fry
Ready fairly quickly so you can make it on a week night.
- Prep Time: 20 Minutes
- Cook Time: 20 Minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 2 People 1x
- 170 g spam (a large tin) cubed into 2cm cubes
- 150 g frankfurters sliced into 1cm slices
- 150 g firm Tofu cubed into 2 cm cubes
- 150 g frozen peas
- 8 cloves of garlic crushed
- 2 tbsp Korean red chilli paste
- 1 Onion finely diced
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 inch piece of ginger grated
- 2 tbsp groundnut oil
- 2 portion noodles cooked according to packet instructions, I used egg noodles
- 2 eggs fried
- 1 wok or large frying pan for the curry
- 1 frying pan for the eggs
- Prepare all your ingredients, that is cube the spam, tofu and slice the frankfurters, grate your ginger, dice your onion, crush your garlic and have your Korean Chilli Paste ready on the side.
- Prepare your noodles, so if they need boiling for 2 minutes, do this now, and then drain them and set them aside, they will get warmed up at the end, so don’t worry about this.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the groundnut oil in the pan and when it is hot, fry the onion for 2 minutes.
- When it is starting to get golden brown, add the Spam, Frankfurters and Tofu and fry for a further 5 minutes until it is starting to brown. When stirring, be careful as you don’t want to break the Tofu up, so use gentle motions when stirring.
- Add the garlic and fry for 2 minutes being careful not to burn the garlic, then add the chilli paste and the frozen peas, and mix together and cook for a further minute. Remove from pan.
- Heat the remaining groundnut oil in the pan, when hot, add the noodles to the pan and fry for 3 minutes until slightly crispy and warmed through.
- Add the rest of the ingredients back into the pan and combine with the noodles and add the soy sauce and stir through. Turn the heat down and let it warm through whilst you fry your eggs.
- Once your egg has been cooked to your liking, simply dish up, placing your egg on top.
There you have it – my Spam and Egg Stir fry, it was very tasty and I will definitely be making it again, the nice thing is if you make too much, simply reserve a portion and then you can have some for lunch the next day.
So there you have it, enjoy the dish and let me know what you think by leaving a note in the comments, I will see you all soon for a recipe for slow cooked ox cheeks.