Tuna and Tomato Salad. This is a wonderful dish that is so simple to make. It is very remiss of me not to have posted it earlier. I first had this Tuna and Tomato Salad about 2 years ago when we went to Gran Canaria for some winter sun. When we arrived, we checked in and it was 25 degrees, so we decided to head down to the beach for a spot of lunch.
We couldn’t decide what to have, but knew that we wanted something light and delicious and which celebrated local ingredients. I spotted the sizzling garlic prawns, which I subsequently recreated on here, you can find them here. We then decided to share a salad, now as some of you may know, when you go abroad and order a salad, you occasionally get something which is very lettuce heavy, I’m not a fan of those types of salads, I much prefer more ingredients that I will actually eat. Do you agree? Or are you more of a lettuce heavy type of person?
So as I am sure you guessed by now, we settled on this Tuna and Tomato Salad for lunch in a little restaurant by the beach. We sat in the sun and each had a beer. It was the perfect way to start the holidays as I am sure you can agree.
We simply loved the tuna that you buy in Gran Canaria. For some reason it tastes wonderful and has more flavour than you buy in the UK, we loved it to such an extent that we actually bought tons of tins of it home. So when you make this dish at home, try to use good quality tuna as I promise you won’t regret it, it makes all the difference. If you buy the tuna in oil, you can use that oil to flavour the salad rather than adding extra oil.
So there you have it. My take on a Tuna and Tomato Salad. I do hope you enjoy it.Print
Tuna and Tomato Salad
- Prep Time: 0 hours 20 minutes
- Total Time: 0 hours 20 minutes
- Yield: 2 hungry people 1x
- Cuisine: Salad
- 3 tomatoes thinly sliced
- 1 tin good quality tuna in oil
- 1 red onion halved and then thinly sliced
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- Olive oil (optional and only if you don’t use the oil from the tin of tuna)
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
- Slice the tomatoes and add to the serving dish.
- Slice the red onions and scatter over the tomatoes.
- Add the tuna in oil scattering over the onions and tomatoes.
- Add the white wine vinegar, season with salt and pepper and sprinkle over the chopped parsley,
You can make one large bowl of salad and mix everything together and then everyone helps themselves, or you can make two individual bowls.